SEGRO presents its "Green First" strategy within the framework of its Responsible SEGRO 2021 program
SEGRO, a company highly committed to society and the environment, goes a step further and implements its "Green First" strategy, within the framework of its new Responsible SEGRO program
- SEGRO is ranked No. 1 as a company in the real estate sector and No. 4 in the global position of the Financial Times ranking, drawn up by the Statista company, of the 300 companies that have achieved the greatest reduction in the intensity of their greenhouse gas emissions greenhouse (GHG) between 2014 and 2019, with more than 3.5 million m² with environmental certification (source: https://www.ft.com/climate-leaders-europe-2021#undefined ).
SEGRO , a leading property-owned real estate company in Europe, specializing in logistics real estate and with a presence in Spain since 2015, presents its "Green First" strategy within the framework of its new Responsible SEGRO program based on 3 fundamental pillars:
- Promote growth with low carbon emissions, with the objective of consolidating in net zero carbon emissions in 2030.
- Invest in the communities where it operates and in its environmental surroundings.
- Foster talent.
In addition to these 3 pillars, SEGRO implements responsible corporate management policies oriented towards ESG.
The "Green First" strategy consists of prioritizing sustainability in all new development projects, both in the construction of the building itself and during its useful life, guaranteeing energy efficiency and minimizing the environmental impact, turning its properties into generators of value for the communities where it is established.
The construction and use of the building are 100% aimed at minimizing the carbon footprint, and for this, SEGRO:
- Applies the circular economy: selection and optimization of raw materials, use of recycled materials including those from previous demolitions, recycling of the resources used during the construction itself and minimization of waste generation.
- It invests in various structures and facilities aimed at energy efficiency: solar panels, air source heat pumps, storage of thermal energy from aquifers, installation of light regulators in offices and warehouses to optimize electricity consumption, among many others.
- Promotes sustainable mobility: multi-level car parks, expansion of accesses, recharging stations for electric cars, roads and parking for bicycles.
- Reduces the environmental impact: previous studies of air quality, acoustics and lighting, integration of the building in the surrounding landscape and creation of spaces aimed at the well-being of its occupants.
- Promotes biodiversity: native plants are integrated into the landscape proposal and depending on the viability of each logistics park, various activities are implemented: orchards, beehives, bird nests or livestock, are some of the most outstanding examples.
Regarding the relevance of sustainability, the General Director of SEGRO Spain, David Alcázar has declared:
- “Sustainability is vital for us, SEGRO has integrated Corporate Social Responsibility into its business culture and purpose since its creation. Currently, given the emergency situation of climate change, we are intensifying our strategy and aligning ourselves with the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- "Our main growth strategy is based on the regeneration of disused or obsolete industrial plots and on the economic and social revitalization of the areas in which we are present."
- “In Spain, all of our newly built buildings hold the BREEAM “Very Good” sustainability certification, with great weight given to landscape integration. Our short and medium-term objective is to also promote biodiversity and interaction with the communities in which we operate”.
- “Innovation and digitization are also a fundamental axis in our CSR policy. All our projects are developed under the BIM model that allows, through a shared digital model, the generation and management of data from the entire life cycle of the building, thus optimizing design, construction and management resources. As a novelty, we have recently presented Digital Twin, a management tool for our clients that replicates the property remotely. It is a software that, in addition to integrating the BIM methodology, allows the efficient control of the building's energy and of the clients' management and production processes, optimizing resources and minimizing the environmental impact”.