SEGRO Park Wapping will deliver a state-of-the-art urban industrial development, designed with high sustainability standards and set to be a benchmark for urban industrial space in London. The development will comprise of seven industrial and warehouse units, ranging from 8,700 sq ft to 16,900 sq ft.
Our proposals include:
- Sustaining the local economy, with c. 150 jobs supported
- Supporting businesses by providing a range of unit sizes, suitable for local SMEs and internationally recognised businesses
- Enhancing the site’s visual appearance in a way which is both contemporary and respects Wapping’s industrial heritage
- Providing space for local artwork to be displayed on the Cable Street façade, creating an enhanced outlook and community asset for our nearest neighbours
- Embedding sustainable design measures to deliver low-carbon, low-energy buildings
- Increasing biodiversity and urban greening through soft landscaped edges and green walls
- Improving active transport connections by upgrading part of the Cycle Super Highway on Cable Street (CS2)
- Committing to long-term investment in community programmes and projects to benefit local residents
- Providing amenity space for employees working on the estate, including a lunch area and wellness area
Our community & environment impact
From creating training and employment opportunities to developing quality open spaces and biodiversity around our sites, we invest in everyone’s future prosperity.
In partnership with our customers and suppliers, as well as local authorities and community groups, we identify specific needs and areas where our input can have the most positive impact. We use our convening power to bring different voices together and find synergies.
Creating jobs & training opportunities
By investing in local training programmes and learning resources we enable local communities around our developments to build the highly valued skills that our industries need, creating powerful talent pools and enhancing career prospects in the areas where we operate. Through the delivery of SEGRO Park Wapping, we will:
- Support c.150 full-time equivalent employment opportunities, in line with the London Borough of Tower Hamlets’ aspirations for the area
- Work with local partners to support local residents to access jobs opportunities at SEGRO Park Wapping
- Undertake a dedicated skills and training programme for local residents to enhance career prospects
- Provide local SMEs with the opportunity to access work packages during construction and during operation
Skills training for local residents in Hounslow
Our sustainability aspirations
We share the London Borough of Tower Hamlets’ commitment to tackling the climate emergency. That’s why we are immensely proud of our sustainability aspirations, which include:
- Renewable energy, generated via photovoltaic (PV) panels
- Minimising operational carbon through a range of features, such as electric vehicle (EV) charging, LED lighting, cycle parking and discouraging staff commuting by car
- Use low carbon materials in construction where possible
- BREEAM: ‘Outstanding’ (targeting)
- EPC rating: ‘A+’ (targeting)
- International Well Building Institute: ‘Well Ready’ (targeting)
Inspired by Wapping's diverse heritage
The proposed scheme is informed by the history and context of Wapping. From the early days of industry, rope making and Cable Street, to a cultural hub for artists and the current diverse mix of houses, commerce, leisure and community. Wapping has a rich and varied past which is represented today in a strong urban identity of mixed building types, materials and styles.
The layering of history and the banks of the Thames is expressed in the layering of the elevations with greenery, bricks and cladding.
’Modular’ bays are created to break down the massing and create a pattern and rhythm to the elevations, based on movement and change, providing interest and texture to the urban realm.
The saw-tooth roof, a traditional factory element, provides even natural light and space for solar PV panels, reducing energy use and boosting employees’ wellbeing.
Improving the streetscape and local area
Our plans for SEGRO Park Wapping present an opportunity to enhance the character of Cable Street. This includes new landscaping, improved cycle and pedestrian routes, and the potential to display work by local artists on the side of the building.
- Soft landscaping has been designed to make the most of the limited space by building up ground and planting in layers, as well as climbing plants to walls, all to improve the public realm, boost ecology and ground the buildings in their setting.
- The ends of the buildings are framed with ‘bookends’ which can act as buffers to The Highway, as well as local features with community-based artwork.
- Responding to the importance of staff wellbeing, the buildings and layout have been designed to the International Well Building Institute’s standard to boost health and wellness. This includes facilities for arrival by public transport or bikes, higher levels of natural light, biophilic design, views from within the building, and a dedicated employee wellness area.
Computer generated image of SEGRO Park Wapping, showing façade with example public art
Working alongside our neighbours
As a long-term investor, SEGRO prides itself on creating and maintaining strong and transparent relationships with local stakeholders including residents. We have been investing in local communities for 102 years, and we understand the importance of working alongside our neighbours – that’s why we intend to do the same with SEGRO Park Wapping.
Our proposals will improve the quality of the local environment for residents through:
- High-quality architecture, with opportunities for locally curated public art
- Improving the safety of the cycle superhighway (CS2)
- Expected reduction in car-based trips to the site and the promotion of sustainable travel
- Soft landscaping to improve the appearance of the surrounding streets
- Long-term ownership and management of the estate by SEGRO, ensuring SEGRO Park Wapping is well maintained and secure in the future
- Discouraging anti-social behaviour through a secure, welcoming and attractive design
Investing in our local communities
In 2022 we launched our first round of community investment plans, which will transform the lives and prospects of local communities where we operate.Read more
Improving the local environment, beyond our spaces
We are committed to identifying and investing in projects aimed at enhancing the space around our buildings.Responsible SEGRO
Working with our customers to support our local economies
We use our convening power to bring together our customers, neighbourhood contractors and suppliers, local authority partners and community groups.Communities