SEGRO began life in 1920 as The Slough Trading Company Ltd, a syndicate of businessmen led by Sir Percival Perry (later Lord Perry) and Noel Mobbs (later Sir Noel Mobbs), acquired a 243 hectare site on the Bath Road at Slough together with 170,000 sq m of workshops and all the vehicles returned from World War 1 that became surplus to the UK Government’s requirements.
1920s and 1930s
The company was renamed Slough Estates Ltd in 1926 to reflect the changing direction of its business and, in 1931, it acquired its second estate, the 22 hectare Kings Norton Metal Works, five miles south of Birmingham city centre.
In 1932, the world’s very first Mars Bar was made on site at the Slough Trading Estate.
In 1937 The Slough Community Centre was opened to provide recreational facilities and to foster social, educational and cultural interests. Today the centre is run by Slough Borough Council.
By the end of the 1930s, the Slough Trading Estate boosted a workforce of some 23,000.